Pages

Saturday 30 July 2011

Motherhood the Musical

This is one of the most amusing musicals I have been in a long time.  Sue Fabisch has a gift of bringing to the stage something like a stand up comedy act with music.  The musical starts with expectant mum, Amy, singing about her joy of becoming a mum.  Her three friends, Barbara, Brooke and Trisha arrive well more like, interrupt with tales of woe! Poor Amy by the end is no longer sure how she feels.  However, the mood soon lifts as they have come to throw her a baby shower. 

Even though I am not a Mum I can remember what I put my Mum through when I was growing up. I particularly liked songs like  Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, I leak, Do it, Costco Queen, actually when I look at the list I liked most of them.  The Costco Queen's choreography with the lights on the shopping trolley's was very effective. 

 The three friends each have a slightly different take on motherhood,  Brooke is a high flying lawyer who is trying to balance home and work life,  Barbara is a single mum and Trisha is a stay at home mum of four. Trisha is the most cynical of the group who in one song has to hide in the cupboard just to get some peace!  But they all have moments of fondness and all agree when the children leave home it will be a lonely place.

It is a wonderful production with a colourful set, the acting and singing was flawless.  I highly recommend any woman to go and see it.  You will want to ring you mum to say I love you by the end!

It is playing at the Seymour Centre until 13 August, tickets are from $54.50, then it will return to the Glen Street Theatre in October.

No comments: